Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
 Cultural references
- The title and plot are both references to CHAЯLY.
- The Sick, Twisted and Totally F***ed up Animation Festival may be modeled after Spike and Mike's Sick and Twisted Festival of Animation.
- The clay animation watched by Flanders and his kids, The New Gravey and Jobriath, is a parody of Davey and Goliath, a similarly Christian-themed animation. This is one of the few scenes in the show to depart from traditional cel or cel-style animation.
- "Gravey" intends to blow up Planned Parenthood, a pro-choice collection of organizations.
- "Jobriath" was also the stage name of a 1970s glam rock singer.
- The faux old footage of Itchy & Scratchy advertising for Laramie Cigarettes is likely a reference to the first season of The Flintstones, when commercials aired featuring Fred and Barney enjoying Winston Cigarettes.
- Ozmodiar, a parody of The Great Gazoo from The Flintstones, appears twice during this episode, once after Bart says cartoons do not have to make sense, and once more after all the employees are laid off from the plant.
- Homer blames eBay (rapidly gaining fame at the time this episode premiered) for the poor-quality cowbell he purchased.
- Intelligent Homer solves multiple Rubik's Cubes in his spare time.
- The Film Love is Nice, starring Julia Roberts, Richard Gere and Bill Pullman (but not Bill Paxton) is a parody of the other Roberts and Gere films, Runaway Bride and Pretty Woman.
- The line "Is that your final answer?" refers to Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
- When the researchers examine the x-ray of Homer's brain, they use a visual enhancement machine similar to the one used by Deckard in Ridley Scott's film Blade Runner.
- The name of the animation firm, Animotion, is probably taken from the band known for their 1985 hit "Obsession".
- The animated dog that dances to Homer's movements during the Animotion process resembles Snoopy.
- During the couch gag in the opening credits, Philip Fry from Futurama is dropped onto the sofa, before being sucked away again.
- While mailing his suggestions in the suggestion tube, Homer is humming Johann Sebastian Bach's Concerto Brandenburg #3.
- When the Simpson family visit the animation convention, Bob and Larry from VeggieTales are shown on one of the booths.
- After Homer becomes smart, he says "library" instead of "li-berry" when he speaks. This is what most little kids say.
- This episode is referenced in The Simpsons comic "Laughter is not the Best Medicine". Dr. Hibbert shows an X-Ray of Homer's head and the crayon is seen.
- Moe, who says he is an unlicensed surgeon, describes his procedure as "the old Crayola oblongata". This refers to the Medulla Oblongata, the lower half of the brainstem.
- The "r" in HOMЯ is reversed like Toys Я Us.