Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
 Cultural references
- The title of the episode is a play on the name of James L. Brooks' 1987 film, Broadcast News. Brooks is co-developer and producer of The Simpsons.
- The episode's title is also a reference to the Darkwing Duck episode of the same name.
- The Squeaky-voiced teen jumps off Geezer Rock, depressed due to the cancellation of Futurama, a show created by Simpsons creator Matt Groening.
- The collapse of Geezer Rock is a reference to when the Old Man of the Mountain collapsed in 2003.
- The title of the Itchy and Scratchy short, "What's Nuked, Pussycat?" is a play on "What's New Pussycat?".
- This is the second episode of the series to have the hit song from the Spice Girls, "Wannabe" to be played, the first being "Maximum Homerdrive".
- The moment when Lenny says that he is going to dance on the grave of the "Unknown Soldier" it is referencing to a Breaking Benjamin song of the same name.
- The band Blood, Sweat, and Tears play one of their songs during Geezer Rock's birthday, although Mayor Quimby made a comment that indicated that Sweat had died recently.
- In Principal Skinner's flashback, "Incense and Peppermints" plays.