Fear of Flying/References
Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
- The name of the lesbian bar is SHE-SHE Lounge.
- The man who looks very similar to Homer is named "Guy Incognito" who later appears in The Simpson's Movie.
- Homer's favorite song is revealed to be "It's Raining Men".
- Homer's co-workers Lenny Leonard and Carl Carlson become regular patrons at Moe's Tavern in this episode, though they were seen there once before in Flaming Moe's.
 Cultural references
- The episode's title is a reference to Erica Jong's novel Fear of Flying.
- One of the bars that Homer visits is the bar from the sitcom Cheers. All of the characters are voiced by the actors who played them in Cheers, with the exception of Frasier Crane who remains silent. Despite the fact that Kelsey Grammer has made multiple appearances on the Simpsons as Sideshow Bob, he does not lend his voice to this episode.
- Grampa being left on a plane and proceeding to slap his hands on his face and yell is a reference to the movie Home Alone.
- The films Homer rents are Hero, Fearless, and Alive, the latter of which Marge watches. All of them involve plane crashes.
- Marge's recurring dream is that she is in TV series Lost in Space: She is Mrs. Robinson, Homer is Dr. Smith, and Lisa is the Robot.
- The flashback where Marge and her mother have a biplane shooting at them in a cornfield is a parody of Alfred Hitchcock's film North by Northwest.
- Marge calls Dr. Zweig "Lowenstein", a reference to Barbara Streisand's character in the film The Prince of Tides.