Wikisimpsons - The Simpsons Wiki
 Cultural references
- The episode's title is a reference to the film Apocalypse Now, which the show has referenced and spoofed many times.
- The chalkboard gag is a reference to Horton's catchphrase, "A person's a person, no matter how small", in the Dr. Seuss book Horton Hears a Who!.
- The cartoon Trans-Clown-O-Morphs is a parody of Transformers.
- Bart drives the harvester and turns manure into DVDs of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.
- When Lou is being sent off, Bart says, "Here's lookin' at you, cud", a reference to Humphrey Bogart's famous line, "Here's lookin' at you, kid", from Casablanca.
- Spiderpig is seen at the wedding.
- According to Marge, Bart "still sits in the driveway and pretends to drive the car".
- Brandine Del Roy was 13 when she married Cletus and she had already been divorced 4 times before that.
- The animal sound tape Lisa played for Bart said "Tress MacNeille" on the cover and when Homer is entering the killing floor of the slaughterhouse he hears a voice say "You are now entering the killing floor", Homer then comments "Hmm, that sounds like Tress MacNeille". Tress MacNeille is a voice actress on the show who voices lots of extra-characters as well as some recurring characters such as Dolph, Agnes Skinner and Mona Simpson.
- This is the first time that Lisa has tried to trick somebody to convert to vegetarianism.